- Dickson Mounds, Lewistown
Join us for the annual Fulton-Mason Eagle Day event. Activities include live raptor programs, hands-on activities and crafts for kids, and bird watching in various locations in Lewistown and Havana, Illinois. The event is FREE and for all ages.
Dickson Mounds Museum, 10956 N. Dickson Mounds Road, Lewistown
- The Wandering Flatlanders – Photography by Dwight Eddington & Kevin Wright
- Arts & crafts and science activities, including chemistry, wetlands, waterfowl, and bats
- Native and invasive species displays
- 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., & 3:00 p.m. Raptor Awareness with free flight demonstrations. Tickets cannot be reserved in advance, but will be available on a first come, first served basis, beginning at 9:00 a.m. at Dickson Mounds, the day of the event. Seating is limited. Admission is free.
- Food available for purchase courtesy of Holy Smokes BBQ
The Nature Conservancy's Emiquon Preserve Wetland Observatory, Off of route 97/78, Lewistown, from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Warming station, exhibits, and wildlife viewing courtesy of The Nature Conservancy and Therkildsen Field Station at Emqiuon
- Illinois Natural History Survey’s Traveling Science Center
- Illinois River Biological Station’s electro-fishing boat and equipment display
*Be sure to visit Big Horse Vineyard and Native Trails Winery after the event for additional Eagle Day specials and activities.
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service-Chautauqua National Wildlife Refuge 19031 E. CR 2110N, Havana, from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Open house at the refuge’s headquarters with free refreshments and give-a-ways
- Guided eagle-watching tours from the cross-dike at Eagle Bluffs, one mile north of the refuge headquarters
- *Please note that activities at this location are contingent upon the Federal Government shutdown.
Havana Park District Nature Center, 416 N. Schrader St., Havana, from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Wildlife viewing
- Eagle crafts and educational activities for kids
Havana City Center, 326 W. Market St., Havana, from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Wildlife Prairie Park’s Birds of Prey live exhibit
- Educational activities and displays
*Visitors may meet Emi or Emmett the Eagle Mascot at various locations throughout the event.
*Kids under 16 years old are encouraged to participate in an Eagle Coloring Contest through January 31st. Sheets are available at the following locations: Havana public library, Havana Nature Center, Dickson Mounds Museum, and Lewistown Public Library. Prizes will be awarded.
More event details, schedule, and program locations to be announced at www.experienceemiquon.com
Sponsored by the City of Lewistown, City of Havana, Forbes Biological Station, Havana Oktoberfest Committee, Illinois River Biological Station, Illinois River Road National Scenic Byway, Illinois State Museum-Dickson Mounds, Therkildsen Field Station at Emiquon, The Nature Conservancy, USFWS Illinois River Refuges Complex, Lewistown Chamber of Commerce, Spoon River Electric Coop, and Plum Hill Vacation Rental Properties. Activities and displays contributed by the Astoria High School's Environmental Club, Havana Park District, Emiquon Audubon, Mason County Arts Council, and the University of Illinois Extension's Master Gardeners and Master Naturalists.